I literally can’t believe I’ve been buying store bought hummus for so long.
I was under the impression that I needed either a food processor or a Vitamix blender in order to make this stuff and for some reason I thought it would be a pain in the ass to make, take forever and make a huge mess.
Turns out I was able to make a legit batch of this Mediterranean deliciousness with my $25 blender from Target in less than 15 minutes. Seriously?!
Needless to say, my addiction has now worsened. Are there 12 step programs for hummus addicts?
Not only is it delicious and nutritious, it’s gluten and dairy free, making it a huge staple of my diet! So…
Without further adieu, I present you with the simple-ass recipe:
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp good quality tahini
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped (or use roasted garlic for a sweeter taste, this is my fave!)
- 1/4 cup water as required to process (you may need a bit more, just keep an eye on the consistency as it blends)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or pink salt
- Additional olive oil, paprika, & parsley for garnish
- PREP YOUR INGREDIENTS
- Chop and squeeze fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- If using fresh garlic, chop it
- Chop a bit of parsley for garnish
THROW IT ALL IN THE BLENDER
- Dry ingredients first!
- Add water slowly, as needed
- Blend it up – I take the lid off once it gets going and stick a spoon in there around the edges while its blending to make sure it gets as mixed up as possible
- Transfer to a bowl, add a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley, and drizzle olive oil
Have fun and experiment with different variations, like adding jalapeno for some spice or doing avocado or black bean versions. The possibilities are endless!
Serve with tortilla chips, or my favorite lately is just baby carrots and mini bell peppers!
Full disclosure: this does in no way mean I do not want a Vitamix blender!
Hummus lovers unite!
Enjoy! Feel free to share the love and make sure to subscribe to my blog to stay updated with more healthy and delicious recipes, yoga inspiration, and wellness tips.