What is a Chakra?
Chakra is Sanskrit for “wheel.” A chakra is a spinning vortex of energy that is part of the subtle body. This energetic body, which overlays the physical body, is the first thing to process energy we come into contact with… people, places, and things. It is then distributed through the body in the form of feelings, thoughts, and sensations. Though there are many chakras in the human body, there are seven main ones located along the central core axis.
Muladhara, the Root Chakra
The first, or root chakra, is where it all begins. Located at the base of your spine, it is your body’s intake point for Universal energy. Just like a house must be built on a strong foundation, so a human Life in balance must be built on the foundation of a healthy root chakra. It is the foundation of our physical body, dealing with our sense of grounding, security, how we take care of ourselves, & how we purge wastes from our body. It deals with our immune system and all things pertaining to it.
Muladhara (Sanskrit), the Root Chakra
When this chakra is in balance, we feel safe, secure, patient, willing to slow down & stay in one place, and an overall sense of calm. We feel healthy, confident, alive, centered, optimistic, steady & full of vitality.
When out of balance, we may experience issues with weight, lower back pain, chronic fatigue, low energy, clumsiness, insecurity, low self esteem, recklessness, constipation, diarrhea, sleep disorders, eating disorders, greed, poverty, arthritis, & a poor sense of smell.
Circumstances that pull up our roots & cause deficiency in the root chakra include traveling, relocation, feeling fearful; big changes in our body, family, finances, business; feelings of anxiety, unworthiness, or a lack of confidence.
The color of this chakra is red & its element is Earth. Associated body parts are the base of the spine, legs, feet, large intestine, adrenal glands, colon, kidneys & bones. Any types of disorders with these organs are directly related to an imbalance in the root chakra.
Six Ways Balance Your Root Chakra
1. Go outside… Spend more time in nature. WALK BAREFOOT. Breathe it in! You are of this Earth… bring yourself back to your ROOTS, literally.
2. Wear the color RED.
3. Eat your GINGER! Cook with it, throw it in your morning smoothie (my fave)… however you like it best!
4. Meditate! The root chakra’s vibrational sound is LAM. Sit comfortably, close your eyes, visualize a beautiful spinning RED vortex of energy at the base of your spine inviting positive Life energy into your body. Breathe deeply. You can chant “LAM” with each exhale, or use a mantra with each inhale, like “I am Enough,” and just release whatever comes up on the exhale. These are just some suggestions! There are countless ways to meditate.
5. Use essential oils. 10-12 drops in the bath tub, or a few drops directly on the skin (mixing with coconut oil is a great way to diffuse essential oil & make it last longer on the skin)… cedar, clove, patchouli, palo santo, frankincense, myrrh.
6. Practice these YOGA postures:
– UTTANASANA (standing forward fold), stretches the backs of the legs & creates a sense of calm
– PACHIMOTTANASANA (seated forward fold with legs extended), stretches back of the legs
– ARDHA HANUMANASANA or HANUMANASANA (half or full splits), stretches groin, hamstrings, & calves
-UTKATASANA (chair pose) & WARRIOR POSTURES, strengthen legs & feet
– SUPTA BADDHA KONASANA (reclined bound angle)/BALASANA (child’s pose)/SAVASANA (corpse pose), peaceful restorative poses to calm the mind, surrender to gravity, & be at HOME in your body!
Root Chakra Yoga
Start by focusing on your feet. Spread your toes, roll your ankles, flex & point your feet, feel all four corners of your feet ROOT down into the earth. In strengthening postures like chair pose & the warrior postures, root down through your feet and build strong muscles in the legs to boost self-confidence & build a strong foundation for your life. When hamstrings are tight, the contraction creates a sense of constantly being prepared to run away… an immediate sign that it’s time to give your root chakra some love. Lengthen and relax all the muscles in your legs through deep stretches like standing or seated forward folds.
Have fun with these ideas, try some of your own, figure out what works for you. Getting into a rhythm of what works for you is key. Listen to your body & learn to LOVE healing yourself!
Feed your root and boost your immune system with this Cold Busting Energy Smoothie.